Congress responds to Hizbul Mujahideen threat say ‘nothing new, elections have been held under such circumstances’
Srinagar: A day after the Hizb ul Mujahideen Commander Riyaz Naikoo threatened to attack all those participating in upcoming Panchayat elections, the state congress on Wednesday said these threats are nothing new and election since 1990 have been taking place amid such threats.
The Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee (JKPCC) asked the Governor led administration to ensure peaceful and fair elections as well as the safety and security of voters and candidates.
Addressing a presser here at party headquarters in Srinagar, JKPCC chief, Ghulam Ahmad Mir said that the threats by the militants are being issues since 1990.“The threats by militants are no new, they have been issuing them since 90’s. We are time and again urging the government to assure safety and security of people prior to going for any democratic processes.
We are ready to take part in any democratic process but let the government comewith the responsibility over the safety of people,” he said.
Earlier on Tuesday in an unverified audio, Naikoo is heard sayign that “we have brought hydrochloric and sulphuric acidfor people who are planning to contest election.”“Those intending to participate elections must bring shroudswith election forms,” Naiko threatened.
Meanwhile, Mir said that the congress party has already cleared its stand over the Article 35-A, saying that the petitions were filed in Supreme Court earlier in 60’s as well but the top court of India then also dismissed the plea. “We have full faith in judiciary and we hope any decision by SC willbe favourable,” he said.
Mir who was accompanied by Punjab finance minister Manpreet Badal, JKPCC leaders including G N Monga, Haji Abdul Rashid, Secretary JKPCC Shakeel Ahmad Khan and others also said that the BJP is playing politics over the Article 35-A, saying that the party is using the law as vote bank for the upcoming parliamentary elections.
Meanwhile, Punjab FM while talking to reporters accused theModi government of causing over Rs. 40,000 crore loss to the exchequer in the purchase of Rafale fighter jets from France.He said that the Congress party while in power had made plans to buy the aircrafts
“The UPA negotiates the RAFALE down to 526 Cr. per plane. But PM Modi secretly paid 1,670 Cr. instead, thus simultaneously giving loss of over 40,000 Cr to exchequer,” he said, asking the BJP to come clear over the issue.
He said that in this regard, the party has decided to go for peaceful protests in every state from September 05-September 15 during which memorandum will be sent to the President of India, seeking details about the matter.